layout

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Confessions of a Baseball Mom

So to go along with my last post I think I will go on a "confessions" blog title binge. I won't lie, especially since I admitted it in a status update earlier today on FB, I did not grow up aspiring to be a mom.  Actually, when it came time for us to have kids 7 years ago it was Rob that did the asking, Rob that wanted to start a family, Rob that couldn't wait.  I on the other hand was thinking, "what ever shall I do with a little human?"  Of course, I have learned that nothing compares to having kids.  I would not trade them for the world, and the vast majority of my greatest joys, have been watching them grow and change, and accomplish new things.  One of the things I was adamant about was my refusal to ever be crazy sports mom! Don't get me wrong, I knew my kids would play sports, we love sports, but I refused to be the psycho mom in the Team Shirt, with her kids name on the back, with a matching hat, and window sticker.

Now that the background has been set, and the rules have been laid out, now I can get on with the confession....

So a few weeks ago Colby signed up for Blastball, which is nothing more than 3 and 4 year old Tee-Ball.  I thought I was safe and completely on track with the "none psycho mom" rule.  After all I had managed to watch Cam play soccer for 2.5 years and never get a sticker or a tee shirt.  That's not to say (in the beginning) I didn't fight the urge a few times, and of course I looked like the paparazzi with my camera at her games, but I managed to make it! No stickers, no hats, no shirts, I was proud.  Then today it happened, I walked out of my house with this...


....and it was like I snapped, how in the world could I not want a Rangers shirt, with the word Mom, and the #8, on the back?  Thank heavens I lasted all day without a trip to Hobby Lobby, but I have to ask myself, how much longer can I hold out?  How many more times can my adorable kids come out in their precious uniforms without me cracking like an egg? How long until my car is Covered in stickers with names and numbers? How long until I have the tee shirt and the hat?

Disclaimer:: I DO NOT love my son more than my daughter, but I do love baseball more than soccer! So much so that I may I have teared up at the first sight of him. One thing I will guarantee is that the same reaction will hold true when Cam walks out in her first pair of knee pads and volleyball tights. At that point I'll be just a jazzed for her, and at that point, I don't know that I will be mentally sound enough to fight it! I guess as long as I stay out of a mini-van a few window stickers won't hurt...right? :0)

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero. I was the only anti-baseball garb mom on my son's team. At games, dressed in my normal cute clothing the other moms stared at me in horror as though I walked in wearing a g-string and heels. So very sad...stay strong. We must put a stop to this madness. I would rather wear a fanny pack then a baseball mom tee.

    ReplyDelete