layout

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Confessions of a Binge Runner

I have to confess! I am a binge runner...actually I am a binge EVERYTHINGer.  You see I'm the kind of person that does things in spurts.  Take this blog for instance.  I go a year without blogging only to blog twice in one night.  I get crafty for a spell and then I stop.  I eat really great for a few months and then eat nothing but junk.  It really is a very strange thing.  My journal is a PERFECT example of my bingieness. I will write everyday for months on end and then nothing for weeks. I binge shop, NOTHING new for months and then BAM, shopping spree (loosely defined I'm teacher). I binge read, 5, 6, 7 novels in just a few weeks, only to go for weeks on end without picking up a book. I think a lot (note that's 2 words), while I run, and tonight I figured out this phenomenon while I was jogging.  My first jog in about 10 weeks!

I started my last workout binge in January of this year! I literally worked out ALL the time.  I was going to bootcamp, running, and hitting the gym.  I was really excited about my body (well as excited as a girl with body image issues can be) and I loved how I felt.  Tons of energy, less stress, and just an over all healthy outlook. Enter April and the dang warrior dash.  Actually it wasn't the warrior dash's fault, it was my thinking that I could run my normal 3.5 miles in 5 finger shoes, WRONG!! So I ended up running the warrior dash with a stress fracture and then wearing a boot, for what was supposed to be 3 weeks, but lasted roughly 5 days! :0)  This however did not completely stop my binge. I still did some elliptical at the gym and even some weight training.  While I had slowed down considerably, I actually thought I had lasted long enough that I was in, full on, life altering, no going back, non-binge, workout mode! Well I thought wrong.  The binge ended on roughly May 23rd (okay that might be more of an exact date).  What was supposed to be a few days of rest turned into the rest of May, the WHOLE month of June, 1 workout at the gym in July, and ONE (only one) run/walk in August.  Yup....My binge was over!

Then Sadly, without warning, as these things often do, the vicious workout cycle trapped me! You know the one, you have no energy, so you don't go workout, but really if you would go workout, you would have more energy to workout.  It's like the worlds BIGGEST catch 22! So anyway..As of tonight I am now officially back on the wagon.  I went running for the 1st time in Sept.  Already I feel better. I always dread getting out there, but once I'm about a half mile in, I remember that I actually really do love to run, and then about mile 3, I remember that I actually HATE to run, but it's too late to stop! So here goes, here's to hoping this workout binge lasts for the rest of my life, or at least until my new "slimmer bod" pants aren't quite as tight....We shall see.....

Hey lucky you! It looks like I'm blog binging! :0) What shall I write about next?

1 comment: